Training and experience matter.
Lisa Wyatt Knowlton, Ed.D. is a trusted advisor to organizations across sectors and disciplines because of her relentless attention to strategy, structure and culture. She is a learning leader who enables others and a capable strategist that tackles hard choices. She has served in a variety of senior management roles, including CEO twice.
Managing better, for results, is her passion. Her work history includes both private and public sectors along with substantial international experience. Competence and compassion are hallmarks. Her credentials include:
- Doctorate, Education Leadership – specialties in management, policy & grantmaker competencies
- Master of Public Administration
- Bachelor of Arts, International Relations
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation Leadership Fellow
- Author, The Logic Model Guidebook (Sage)
Lisa is an advocate for adoption, volunteers with The Descendants Truth & Reconciliation Foundation, created a fund for girls' education in Peru and serves as a board director with a Great Lakes protection organization. By appointment of the Michigan Supreme Court, she serves on the Michigan Foster Care Review Board.
Here's what others say.
“Dr. Knowlton took the time to thoroughly understand our challenges and worked with us to create custom high-impact solutions.”
– Denise Crawford, CEO, Kalamazoo Family Health Center
“Lisa is one of our field’s best when it comes to thinking, observing, or doing. I have never come away from a conversation with her that I didn’t learn something or acquire a fresh perspective. Insight and wisdom are precious commodities these days; Lisa has plenty of both.”
– Douglas Bauer, Executive Director, The Clark and Scriven Foundations
“She’s a very able strategist with decades of experience to inform her wise guidance.”
– Dr. Celeste Clark, Sr. VP, Kellogg Co (retired), Director, Mead Johnson, Director, W.K. Kellogg Foundation
“She enables learning through provoking questions, terrific examples and informed dialogue. Lisa calls on a rich history of foundation, social and private sector experience. She is a clear, capable and credible resource.“
– Sal Alaimos, PhD, Associate Professor, Grand Valley State University
“After working for many years with Dr. Knowlton, I have found her to be a quality and high level manager-leader. She understands the importance of relationships, is highly productive and extremely effective.”
– Chris Wigent, CEO (retired), Michigan Association of School Administrators
“She knows how to support inquiry and change. Lisa is a capable resource for both management and governance.”
– Dr. Kathryn Agard, Executive Director (retired), Johnson Center on Philanthropy, Grand Valley State University
“Lisa offers critical thinking with an action bias. She ably works across sectors in a range of subject matter.”
– Steve Jessup, CPA, Principal/CFO, QIRT
“Lisa has great experience with public private partnerships and understands the dynamics and opportunity that private and community philanthropy add. She brings value to all initiatives she is involved with.”
– Rob Collier, CEO (retired), Council of Michigan Foundations
“I’ve witnessed Lisa’s consistent integrity and extraordinary work ethic for decades. She adds value to any organization seeking improved effectiveness.”
– Dr. A.J. Jones, CEO (retired), Grace Health
“In a pilot project on chronic conditions, Lisa designed, led and supported an integrated team. She co-created our practices and priorities. Her thoughtful guidance was essential to new ways of working together to serve our patients. She anticipates, is thorough and responsive.”
– Dennis Means, M.D., Chief Medical Officer, Family Health Center of Kalamazoo
“Lisa is focused and tireless. She helped us clarify work, specify our value and build vibrant strategies with action plans to deliver on them.”
– Liz Kirkwood, JD, Executive Director, FLOW